Sunday, December 28, 2014

Is GoPro The Best Action Camera Or Just The Best Marketing?

GoPro has become kind of a household name. Where as people often refer to any type of facial tissue as being Kleenex even though only Kleenex brand is truly Kleenex, GoPro has in many ways become a standard name for any type of sports or action camera.

GoPro was one of the earlier ones to the market and actually did a fantastic job of marketing itself, however is the GoPro necessarily the best action camera or the action camera you should buy?

Polaroid, Kodak, iOn and many others have entered this space. In my personal opinion many of them are actually superior cameras to the GoPro in many areas, while others thoguh I may not consider to be superior are at the very least a better bang for your buck in my opinion.

No camera is going to be the best at everything, however you need to pick and choose which qualities are important to you. Checkout Youtube and you can view side by side comparisons of GoPro and other cameras. One of my favorite videos at illustrating this point is a video which is half screen of a GoPro and a half screen of an iOn Air Pro side by side. Though the GoPro does better in low light scenarios, I actually feel the iOn Air Pro has better image stabalization, better picture in normal lighting situations and superior in several other factors such as not needing an external case to make it waterproof and a simpler, cleaner, sleeker form/shape.

My personal choice for a personal action camera is the iOn Air Pro, though Polaroid Cube has recently entered the market and is pretty cool in itself. In my opinion the Polaroid isn't a true action camera and isn't as sleek or sturdy as some of the other cams but for someone who wants an action camera and isn't doing extreme sports I think this is a good option.

My final choice, the iOn Air Pro. Don't get me wrong, the GoPro is a fantastic camera, however with the high price tag and the boxy unsleek shape, I'll pick the iOn Air Pro over the GoPro.

No comments:

Post a Comment